GBC's Response to COVID-19
June 10, 2020
Over this season we have been grateful for God’s provision in many ways. One is that many of our ministries and ability to prepare for ministry has been able to continue – often aided by technology and accomplished in different ways. These include:
- Worship services on Youtube and Facebook
- Hispanic services and classes
- Daily devotionals from Pastor Tim
- Adult Small Groups meeting online (90%)
- Student Small Groups meeting (All)
- Preaching and Teaching classes (3/week)
- Preschool Story Time
- Elementary Bible Lesson
- Awana Verse Review
- Grace Student Weekly Lesson
- Guitar Class
- Next Steps Meetings
- MOPS Meetings
- AHG and TL Group Meetings
- Ministry team supporting seniors, first responders and homeless
- Benevolence support to church and community
- Homeless meals delivered weekly
- ACTS food donations
- Financial support to local, state and international ministries
- Cleaning, sanitizing, painting, and updating many areas of our facility
- Ministry Planning/Budgeting for Ministry next fall
- And many others…
We are glad too that the COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in our area are decreasing, leading to a lessening of restrictions on us gathering together in person. The Staff and Ministry Council are making plans to respond to the changes and updates to the guidance and direction from state and local officials. We are coordinating and exchanging information with our Small Group and Ministry Leaders, other local churches, and the Northstar Association. This page reflects our current plans – however, it’s almost certain that some of these will change as new information and guidance becomes available. We will continue to use our weekly News from Grace email (sign up here) and our website to communicate changes and updates.
Currently, we are limited to 50% of capacity for our worship gatherings, however, the requirement to social distance is what really restricts our seating/gathering capacity. This month we are excited to regather for in-person worship outdoors and expect to transition to indoor services as the weather gets warmer this summer. Our current understanding is that the requirement to social distance also limits the ability to do in-person ministry activities with children. We have been able to do children's ministry activities in a few special cases where children remain with their families. Social distancing also restricts our adult small groups (and other Adult Ministries) from using all but a few of our larger rooms. Please see below for more information and details on plans for the near future.
We plan to continue online worship services indefinitely. Currently, this is at 5:30PM on Saturday (GBC Saturday Night group) and 10AM Sunday, on Facebook (GraceBaptist VA) or YouTube ( Grace Baptist Church - Woodbridge, VA). The Sermon Audio will be available on the website Sunday afternoon click here. Our worship music, testimonies, and Pastor Tim’s sermon are recorded on the Tuesday prior to each weekend. At some time in the future, we may transition to “live” on-line services that are broadcast at the same time as our in-person worship.
We are excited that outdoor worship together will begin on June 14. The Worship Outside page on our website has all the details.
As current conditions improve, we plan to transition to indoor worship services when the weather gets warmer. Our “socially distanced” seating capacity for indoor worship is about 120. We want to make sure we have enough room for those who desire to attend, so we will ask people to make a “reservation” for the service they want to attend through our website. Other plans include:
- Saturday Evening and Sunday Morning Contemporary Service and a Sunday Morning Traditional Service. We will add additional services as needed, possibly at other times of the day or week to accommodate all who want to attend in person.
- Seating pre-arranged in groups to accommodate families, couples, and individuals
- A gathering area in the parking lot before and after services (worshipers will be asked to leave the building after each service so that it can be cleaned and sanitized for the next service)
- Not passing things around (we will have alternatives for connect cards, communion elements, etc. and discontinue bulletins, shared Bibles and pens for the time being)
- Coffee service will be put on hold
- Because of the reasons cited above, Adult and Student Small Groups, Children’s Classes, and Childcare will not be held when we meet for Worship.
Small Groups and Other Ministry Activities
Most of our small groups are meeting online and this will continue indefinitely. More information on small groups can be found here.
We do have a few rooms that will accommodate adult meetings “socially distanced” These rooms can be used:
- B105 – 14 people
- B112 – 10 people
- B113 – 10 people
- B125 – 30 people in "around the room meeting" format with people seated on the walls
- Chilton - 20 people in "around the room meeting" format with people seated on the walls
Please contact Margaret Miller at to schedule a group or meeting. For groups using these rooms we ask that they:
- "Social Distance"
- Wear a mask
- Don’t share food or drink
- Sanitize room after use
Please see this page for updates on current ministry activities.
Please see this page for updates on current ministry activities.
Pastor Tim's Daily Devotional - God is on His Throne
Pastor Tim is sending a daily devotional to all those on our News From Grace email list on the book of Psalms called God is on His Throne. If you would like to receive this email click here to sign up or you can access the devotional on our website in the God in on His Throne blog by clicking here.
Staying in Touch
- GBC Website (gracehome.org) – Audio/Video Sermon Links, COVID-19 Response page (Coronavirus updates are available on this page.) God is on His Throne Devotion Blog
- Grace Facebook Page – Grace Baptist Church – Woodbridge, Virginia or GraceBaptistVA
- Grace Baptist Church Instagram – GraceBaptistVA – We are currently posting a photo each day for Pastor Tim's God is on His Throne devotional.
- News from Grace Email – sign up to get the weekly newsletter, daily devotion from Pastor Tim, or to be notified of any updates. Click here to sign up.
- Phone – Currently the office is open from 8AM – 4PM, M-F. After hours we have a recording that will be updated if there is a change to our campus or office closures.
We are grateful for your support of our church ministries. If you normally give in person, please consider one of the giving options (mail, bill pay, or online) described on this page of our website.
Connect Card - Prayers and Gratitude
The apostle encouraged us in Philippians to: "not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." We will continue to have a regular time of prayer for the needs of the body. We now have a digital Connect Card page where you can submit prayers and gratitude.